Tuesday 7 October 2008

Lost and found

Today I have so far:
- Slept through my alarm and awoken at 8:55am, meaning that I had all of five minutes to get up, get dressed, moan for at least ten minutes about something (ranges from the weather to my own inability to develop Cheryl Cole's hair overnight), feed the Illegal Kittens and walk to work. Suffice to say, I managed to get the getting up and dressing done, all while moaning about how late I was, which shows time efficiency, I think.
- Realised, at about 11am when my brain was finally kicking into gear, that I have no idea of the whereabouts of my passport and it might be handy to locate it since I'm going to Portugal on Saturday. I contacted my friend, who works at the Passport Office, via the ever-handy medium of Facebook, who cheerfully told me it would cost me £107 to get an emergency one and reminded me to pay with a debit card, to avoid the credit card surcharge. I in turn cheerfully reminded her that there is not a bank in the land stupid enough to give me a credit card, so that shouldn't pose too much of a problem.
- Eaten a bag of Oriental Rib McCoys, absentmindly, while panicking about said passport
- Followed these with some beef flavoured Monster Munch (they're back! *punches air in crisp-related jubilation*) and a chocolate orange bar.
- Driven like a bat out of hell (who's lost it's passport) to my parents house, where I bizarrely found said passport in a bag deep in my old wardrobe that I haven't used for about three years. Since I've definitely used my passport more recently than that, it will remain a mystery, albeit a satisfying one because I got my passport back in the end. I could have made the finding more dramatic (even if it was just to use capital letters, so that it looked like The Finding, but I couldn't be arsed)
- Eaten a slice of homemade chocolate cake pensively, while reflecting on the state of the world in general and the state of my wardobe in particular
- Typed up the cheesiest radio script in the world
- Had a mild argument with The Fisherman, as it transpires he will not be in from Fisherman Land (aka, the sea) until Friday morning, negating his promise to take me out for a pre-holiday dinner on Thursday, with even my threat of kicking the kittens not changing his mind (joke) (I think they would come and kick me back in the night after fashioning eight kitten-sized steel-toe capped boots, because that's the kind of kittens they are).
- Tripped over absolutely nothing on the pavement and staggered embarrassingly, before grinning sheepishly and trying to look dignified at the same time. A dignified sheep...rarely happens, let me tell you.

Things I will do this evening;
- Spend a couple of hours with the Brownie pack I volunteer with (sadly nothing to do with delicious chocolate cake squares) learning about Food and Currencies From Around The World, while fending off requests to go to the toilet every two minutes (from the children, I hasten to add) and minor fights about who is better at plaiting hair
- Make some variety of pasta and eat while watching my DVD of Teachers and musing over the merits of Andrew Lincoln versus Navin Chowdhry
- Try and think of a more interesting blog for tomorrow

Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

justme said...

Hi there! Just found your blog via Leonie's and am enjoying reading it very much. Keep writing!
I will be back.....

Fishwife said...

ah thank you - that's very kind! I'm quite a fan of Leonie's blog! Am becoming very excited aboyt this new world that is opening up to me via the medium of blogging!

LĂ©onie said...

I like all this talk about me behind my back - carry on.

The worst passport panic I had was one Boxing day. I was due to go to Belgium that evening, and suddenly couldn't find my passport anywhere. The whole extended family turned the house upside down. Eventually we concluded that I must have left it at my University house about ninety miles away, and my uncle offered to drive me to get it. We were in the car, about to get on the motorway when my phone rang. My little sister had found it! I didn't ask where, I was too happy.

It transpired, years later, that she had been using it as fake ID so it was in her bag, and she just didn't want to admit it. Only when she realized that we were about to make huge (and pointless) cross-country trip did she decide to suddenly 'find' it. Little scamp, I have never forgiven her.

Oooh, long comment, sorry! But passport terror is a very special kind of fear...