Thursday 9 October 2008

These are a few of my favourite things...

I have borrowed a meme from Just Me (http://justme-randomramblings.blogspot.com) for today, as I'm feeling uninspired by my own life (the llama/bear hybrid incident has not happened...yet)

Favourite Things in the following Catagories....
CLOTHES SHOP I love, love LOVE all the little shops in the Laines in Brighton...if I had to pick a favourite it would probably be Pink. Or Fashion Temple. Or Smooth Criminal, or JuJu...arghhh too hard!

FURNITURE SHOP I'm not really grown up enough yet for this question, as I still tend to base my furniture choices on what costs the less or can be found in my parent's attic. I do enjoy pressing my nose against the window of Habitat and making wistful keening noises though.

SWEET Has to be the brown and white Guylian shells. I used to live with someone who was Belgian in my first year at Uni and she told me these were 'an abomination against Belgian chocolate'. Fortuneatly for me, I strongly disliked this girl, so her negative opinion only served to reinforce my love for them.

CITY BRIGHTON!! Saw that one coming, didn't you?

DRINK Cider and black (I'm still a student in my head), vodka and redbull and, more embarrassingly, I must confess a secret love of sherry. Every Sunday, my mum has one of those tiny glasses of it, and, despite kicking and screaming against all things parentlike, over the last few years, I have done the same. (Once, when The Fisherman caught me, I had to pretend I was taking it through to my mum, because I was so embarrassed about my old-lady tastes).

When I was a child, my mum used to let me have a sip out of her glass, until one day, when I bit through the glass and a shard went between my teeth and turned my gum yellow. My mum, understandably, said there was no way we were going to A&E because it would involve explaining why I had been allowed to drink sherry at roughly three years of age, and luckily enough for all of us, it turned out fine. I don't remember anything of the incident, but that could be because I was in a toddler-sherry-induced haze.

MUSIC Too much to list! I love the new Razorlight track at the moment though.

TV SERIES Oooh again, a bit too much to list...Desperate Housewives, Teachers, Hustle, Friends...the list goes on. (You can see my tastes are very highbrow)

FILM True Romance, Wayne's World, Football Factory, Rise of the Footsoldier, Pulp Fiction, Love Actually. My tastes range from the extremely violent to the extremely slushy...but I am terrified of horror films and even found Hot Fuzz too scary, pathetic creature that I am.

WORKOUT Ha ha ha ha! Oh, you were serious?!

PASTRIES I'm rather wary of pastries because the flakiness tends to get stuck in my throat and then make me cough involunarily, spluttering little crumbly flakes over everything in sight. This is not, however, anywhere near as impressive as when my dad involuntarily coughed during a sip of espresso in a resturant and splattered the table, wall, and, oh yes, prospective client with hot coffee. So now you know where I get it from.

COFFEE Ah, I didn't even see that coming! Not such a fan (see above) but wouldn't say no to a mocha...I'm more of an Earl Grey tea kind of girl though.

I may come back and update this later...possibly with my review of the steak and ale pie crisps. I know you're on the edge of your seat...

UPDATE:
In a wonderfully serendipitious moment of blogging psychic-ness, the lovely Leonie (sorry if that sounds like some kind of letchy uncle type phrase, I just used it because I have a bizarre need to alliterate as much as possible) (http://www.leoniekate.blogspot.com) has tagged me in the same meme that I borrowed from Justme, but I don't know how to tag or link people - can anyone help me please?!

4 comments:

Léonie said...

I just tagged you in this very meme! It's a good one. I too love True Romance, even though it reminds me of a particularly harrowing past relationship.

My friend has just started an MA in Brighton - do you have any tips for her? In fact I think I am going to visit her on Monday! I will send Brighton your love...

Fishwife said...

Ahh...tips...if you can, go to the Fortune of War pub on the seafront, and also the Basketmakers Arms in the Laines. The Fortune is just like being inside a huge ship (albeit one that plays DJ Shadow a lot) and the Basketmakers has walls covered in boxes that people write notes in and leave for others to read. You can also write notes, it's much fun. I wish I could give you some highbrow, cultural tips, but sadly my experiences revolve mainly around pubs...

justme said...

I haven't worked out how to link people either, so can't help with that! Maybe someone will explain to us both, although I am hopeless at following instructionsas well.
So glad you did the meme though! I too am rather partial to a sherry now and then, especially at christmas time, when Baileys also becomes attractive......

Léonie said...

1. Highlight the word into which you want to put the link (eg, if you want to be able to click on Fishwife and get to your blog).
2. Click on the symbol at the top that looks like a world with a paper clip in it (third along, after the b and the i).
3. A box will pop up (provided you have allowed pop-ups). In this box put the site you want the word to link to.
4. Click OK and in blogger it will look like this:
link , but when you publish and view your blog it will look like a link.

I couldn't do it for AGES but it is actually really easy. Also the Help function on Blogger is really useful.